Meet the Woman Who's Changing the Way Your Pet Dines—One Handcrafted Bowl at a Time!
Claire Pearson-Cowell is the founder of Chow Bella, and has made every single Chow Bella bowl all the way since 2006.
Here, she answers 15 quick-fire questions all about her.
1. Describe yourself in three words "Oooh, creative, stubborn & shy."
2. What inspired you to start Chow Bella? "It was my little cocker spaniel, Bella. I couldn't find a bowl that worked to keep her ears clean, and as a potter, decided I'd have a go at making one myself. I then realised other spaniel owners might be interested, and the rest is history!"
3. What's the most rewarding part of your job? "I think it's all the really lovely reviews I get. It's so nice to have positive feedback - especially when you're a tiny business, it means so much."
4. If you were a dog or cat, what breed would you be? "That's easy - a cocker spaniel. They have so much joie de vivre and they're so mischievous!".
5. What's your go-to comfort food? "Jaffa Cakes. I could easily eat a whole box in one sitting."
6. What's one thing people don't know about you? "I'm a published poet."
7. What's been your proudest achievement to date? "Running my first marathon last year aged 51. I'd had a couple of failed attempts where I'd got injured and had to pull out before the race, and it was so hard. But 3rd time lucky, I crossed the finish line in Lisbon and it was the most incredible feeling."
8. What's your guilty pleasure TV show? "First Dates. I'm addicted!"
9. What's the most adventurous thing you've ever done? "Zip lining in Costa Rica."
10. What's the last book you read that you couldn't put down? "Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver. Brilliant book based on Dickens' David Copperfield."
11. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? "Slowing down time, I never have enough hours to fit in everything I want!"
12. What's your favourite way to unwind after a busy day? "Going for a run. I love the headspace it gives me and it's really important for my mental health."
13. If you could have dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be? "That's really hard! I think it would have to be Dawn French, Noel Fielding and Dame Judy Dench. What the hell would I cook?!"
14. Do you have any claims to fame? "Yes! My Uncle Roger used to be in the soap, Eldorado although he's probably best known for being a singer on the 70s kids' show, Rainbow."
15. What's your message to all the pet parents out there? "Enjoy as much time as you possibly can with your pets. They're here for such a short time."
More Than Just a Bowl—It's a Lifestyle
There you have it, folks! A whirlwind tour through the life and loves of Claire Pearson-Cowell, the creative force behind Chow Bella. From marathons to Jaffa Cakes, and from zip-lining adventures to poetic pursuits, it's clear that Claire is about so much more than just handcrafted bowls. She's a testament to the joys and challenges of running a small business, fuelled by a genuine love for pets and their well-being.
As Claire wisely reminds us, our pets are with us for only a short time, so let's make the most of it. Whether it's a long walk, a cuddle on the couch, or simply enjoying a meal together, every moment is precious.
Here's to cherishing the simple, everyday joys that our furry friends bring into our lives.